A. Membership. The Public Safety & Judiciary Committee shall be comprised of five (5) County Board Supervisors.
B. Oversight. Except as provided by law, the Public Safety & Judiciary Committee shall confer and have policy-making responsibilities for the following Departments and Operations: Child Support, Clerk of Circuit Courts, Medical Examiner, District Attorney, Emergency Management, Office of the Family Court Commissioner, Register in Probate, and Sheriff.
C. Duties and Responsibilities. Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
1. Review and approve as necessary emergency management plans for the County, consistent with the State Plan of Emergency Management, assist in the review and approval of Municipal Emergency Management Plans, and integration of such plans with the County plan.
2. Act as the Emergency Management Committee pursuant to §166.03(4)(c), Wisconsin Statutes.
3. Oversee activities of County Emergency Management Director per §166, Wisconsin Statutes.
4. Approve rules, regulations and policies specific to the Sheriff’s Department.
5. Oversee the County Court and Court related processes.
6. Pursuant to §59.54(15), Wisconsin Statutes, Annual Inspection. At least annually each year the Board of each County, or a Committee thereof, shall visit, inspect and examine each jail maintained by the County, as to health, cleanliness and discipline, and the keeper of the jail shall lay before the board or the committee a calendar setting forth the name, age and cause of committal of each prisoner. If it appears the Board or Committee that any provisions of the law have been violated or neglected, the Board or the Committee shall immediately give notice of the violation to the District Attorney of the County.
7. Shall conduct public hearings pursuant to §59.26 and any amendments, codifications or renaming of said statute.
D. Sub Committees, Boards, and Commissions. The Public Safety & Judiciary Committee shall be responsible for interaction, communication and recommendations to the County Board with respect to the Local Emergency Planning Commission.
Local Emergency Planning Commission