tw fb

Marriage License Information

County Clerk

Please make an appointment to ensure a clerk is available and enough time is set aside. Applicants should apply for their marriage license during the identified available hours of 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.

Marriage License Information

Please make an appointment
to ensure a clerk is available and enough time is set aside. Applicants should apply for their marriage license during the hours of 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.  Both applicants will need to be present for the application process, which takes approximately 30 minutes.  Please make sure that both applicants have all the required documentation with them at this time, including the date, municipality where marriage will take place and officiant’s name, address and phone number.     

Wisconsin residents must apply before the County Clerk of the county in which one or both have resided at least 30 days prior to the date of application.  Marriage may be performed in any county in Wisconsin. If both applicants are out-of-state residents, the license must be issued in the county where the ceremony will be performed.

Wisconsin law requires a 5-day waiting period, not including the day of the application, before a license can be issued.  The day of application does not count towards the waiting period.  The license is valid for 30 days after date of issuance.  If 30 days should pass, a new application must be completed along with another $85.00.

A waiver may be granted for the waiting period due to the following circumstances: serious medical condition, in military and expected to be relocated, attending school at a location that is distant from the county, if one or both parties are from out-of-state and cannot come in to apply for license at least 5 days in advance.  Note: You must call in advance for a waiver to be granted. A waiver form must be filled out. The cost of the waiver is $25.00.  This will extend the appointment time to approximately an hour.     


Certified birth certificates are required, no copies.  The souvenir birth document given by a hospital is not a legal document and is not acceptable.  A current passport may also be used in place of a certified birth certificate.  Be prepared to provide accurate and complete names of parents to include birth sur name (name before marriage).  Persons under the age of 16 may not marry.  Persons age 16 and 17 are required to provide both parent’s or legal guardian’s notarized written consent to marry.  The consent forms are available in the CountyClerk’s office.


Applicants may not be closer in relationship than 2nd cousins.  First cousins may marry if the female applicant is 55 years of age or older or if one of the applicants presents an affidavit signed by a licensed physician stating that the applicant is permanently sterile.  The sworn statement is part of the application form. 
In the state of Wisconsin, it is not lawful for any person to marry again until six months after Judgment of Divorce is granted.  A Judgment of Divorce from the last previous marriage must be presented at the time of applying.  It must be signed by the judge and have a ‘File Date’ stamp on it.  Copies of final Divorce Judgments can be obtained from the Clerk of Court in the County in which the divorce occurred.  

A certified copy of a death certificate must be presented at the time of applying, if your last previous marriage was terminated by death.

A current driver’s license with a current address is the best proof.  If this is not available, each applicant must provide proof of current address, with a piece of currently-dated mail.  If the applicant is not a US Citizen, then a current passport is needed.  If the passport has expired, then the applicant will need to apply for an extension.  Expired passports will not be accepted.

Applicants must provide their social security numbers if one has been assigned to them.  It is not necessary to bring your SSN card with you.

If one of the parties to the marriage does not understand or speak English, they must bring a translator with them.  Any documents not in English must be translated on paper, prior to applying.  This translation cannot be done by someone that is related to the applicant.  The original birth certificate, the English translation of the birth certificate and a ‘Translator Certification Statement’ must be brought along when applying.  The ‘Translator Certification Statement’ must be picked up from the County Clerk’s Office, and completed prior to applying.     

Applicants need to provide the date of the marriage and the correct spelling of the officiant’s name, as well as his/her business address and phone number.  The applicants need to know the county name and municipality where the ceremony will take place.

Both applicants are required to come together to pick up their license in the County Clerk’s Office after the 5 day waiting period has passed.  You do not need to make an appointment for this.  You may come in during the hours of 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

The signed license is returned to the Register of Deeds Office in the County where you were married in.  Please see the bottom of license for further instructions on this.
The license fee is $85.00, to be paid on the date of application.  No refunds are given.  Fees may vary from County to County.  Payments may be made by cash, check, money order (made payable to Adams County Clerk) or credit card.  Credit card use fees apply.

Certified Birth Certificate- A certified birth certificate issued by the Wisconsin Vital Records Office will have a raised seal, with the signature of the State Registrar and printed on security paper.
Certified Death Certificate--A certified copy of a death certificate will be on security paper.
Divorce Decree—Signed and dated by the judge/court commissioner with a file date stamp from the court system.  


Attorney Paul Screnock

333 N Main St
Adams, WI 53910

Attorney Eric Pollex
313 Main St.
Friendship, WI 53934

 The Courthouse is closed the following Holidays: New Year’s Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veteran’s Day, Thanksgiving Day, day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve & Christmas Day.
This is provided by

Cheryl Kroening, Adams County Clerk
400 North Main St., PO Box 278
Friendship, WI 53934

Revised February 2019





Marriage License Index